What is SA302?

An SA302 is a document that provides evidence of your income from self-employment or as a company director. There are various individuals or organizations that may ask you for an SA302 document, including:

  1. Mortgage Lenders - If you are applying for a mortgage as a self-employed person, the lender may request your SA302 as proof of income.
  2. Landlords - Landlords may ask for an SA302 document to verify your income if you are self-employed or a company director and are renting a property.
  3. Accountants - Your accountant may require your SA302 document to prepare your accounts or tax returns.
  4. Immigration authorities - If you are a non-UK resident or citizen and are applying for a UK visa, the immigration authorities may require your SA302 as evidence of your income.
  5. Banks or other financial institutions - If you are applying for a loan or financing as a self-employed person or company director, the bank or lender may request your SA302 document as evidence of your income.

In general, the SA302 document is used as proof of your income from self-employment or as a company director and can be requested by anyone who needs to verify your income for a specific purpose.

OK, so how do I get one?

Firstly, check if your bookkeeper or accountant can provide you with SA302 from their filing software. If not, you can usually download an SA302 from your UK Government Gateway account by following these steps:

  1. Log in to your Government Gateway Personal Tax account.
  2. Once you are logged in, select the option "Self Assessment" from the menu.
  3. Click on "More details about your Self Assessment returns and payments".
  4. Your latest SA302 will be available at the top under "Get SA302 Tax Calculation for tax year..."
  5. Scroll down the page to the "Previously filed returns" section, and you will find the option to "Get your SA302 tax calculation" for the previous year or "View more previous years Self Assessment" to see older returns
  6. Select the appropriate option to view your SA302 document.
  7. You can then download or print the SA302 document from your account using the "Print your full calculation button at the bottom.

If you are unable to access your SA302 document through your Government Gateway account, you can also request a copy by calling the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) self-assessment helpline: 0300 200 3310
(Opening times: Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm. Closed on weekends and bank holidays.)

For Reference:
Get your SA302 tax calculation

Previous Blogs