Clare Kendall, owner

My name is Clare Kendall BSc MICB, but please just call me Clare. I am an award-winning Bookkeeper, licensed and regulated by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB), providing services to sole traders, partnerships and small businesses in the Lincolnshire area; Brigg, Caistor, Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Barton and the Lincolnshire Wolds. I am:

On my final accounting exam, I scored 99% and I'll be honest, I'm more than a little annoyed about it. That probably tells you everything you need to know about how I will approach working with you but I offer a free consulation to ensure we work together effectively so please get in touch.

P.S. Don't just take my word for it, here are some things my customers have said about working with me;

  • Feeling very organised thanks to Clare Kendall at CLK Books who made my 19/20 tax return very easy indeed
    Miss J, Sole Trader
  • I really felt a load taken off my shoulders by the professional approach of CLK Books, nothing was too much trouble and the communication was great. I would definitely recommend to others
    Mrs J, Sole Trader with Property Income
  • I will be coming to you again next year
    Mr A, Employee and Sole Trader
  • Clare has provided a simple, effective and inexpensive software solution and is always available to talk to in person to answer questions. Reliable, responsive and reasonably priced. I'd highly recommended her
    Mr D, Director and Partner
  • Thank you for producing our year end accounts at very short notice and helping us access FreeAgent at no extra cost. We are delighted!
    Mrs I, Treasurer of a not for profit group
  • ... you’ve done an excellent job sorting it all and this year’s accounts have been much easier to prepare thanks to your bookkeeping
    Ms P, Local Accountant
  • Thank you Clare for all your kind attention and work regarding my annual assessment, it is so much appreciated and gives genuine peace of mind.
    Mrs R, Landlord
Institute of Certified Bookkeepers

CLK Books is licensed and regulated by the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) Licence Number: 21805

LUCA Award Winner: New Practice of The Year 2020

LUCA Award Winner - New Practice of the Year 2020

Xero Certified Advisor

XERO Certified Advisor

quickbooks online certified proadvisor

quickbooks Online Certified ProAdvisor

Sage Business Cloud Accounting Certified Application Specialist

Sage Business Cloud Accounting Certified Application Specialist

Free Agent

FreeAgent Accredited Partner

Making Tax Digital

Making Tax Digital ProAdvisor

Xero App Advisory: Professional Services

Xero App Advisory: Professional Services Specialist

Xero App Advisory: Cash Flow

Xero App Advisory: Cash Flow Specialist


Why do you need a bookkeeper? The first reason is time. No more evenings and weekends spent balancing the books. Plus I give you the peace of mind to know it’s done correctly and that you have been paid by your customers. I’ll navigate HMRC’s rules for you to make sure you pay what you owe, and not a penny more.


Whether you're a sole trader, partnership or limited company, I can keep your books in order for you providing you with the time and information to concentrate on what you do best; running your business. VAT returns, Making Tax Digital, cash flow, credit control and reporting may not be your thing, but they are mine.

Accounting Software

Everything you do on paper can be done faster, stored safely and accessed from wherever you are. Snap receipts, email quotes and invoices on the go, see up to date profits and comply with Making Tax Digital rules. I can help you choose, set-up and manage your software. QuickBooks, Xero, FreeAgent, Sage and more.

Self-Assessment Tax Return

They say tax doesn't have to be taxing, but it so often is. I can take the pain out of your self-assessment tax return. With your information, I'll file your return with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC) whilst making sure you don't miss out on any allowances and reliefs you are entitled to.

Capital Gains Tax

Since November 2021, Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on property has changed. If you need to report and pay CGT on UK property, you need to do so within 60 days. Other gains can be reported 'real time' or annually in your self-assessment tax return. As an HMRC agent I can do this on your behalf, making sure you claim the correct exempt amount and any reliefs due to you.

Year End Accounts

If you feel demoralised by depreciation or you're crying over cost of sales calculations, let me post year-end adjustments and produce final year-end accounts for you. Available for sole traders, partnerships, not-for-profits, Limited Companies and LLPs.
I am not licensed to file with Companies House or submit Corporation Tax.

Outsourced Finance Department

Do you know how your business is doing? I can help you to understand your current business finances in enough detail to allow you to make critical decisions. Think of me as your virtual Finance Director. My experience in analysis and change management can help streamline and improve your business processes.


So, what you really want to know, is how much will this cost? And in all honesty that depends on how complex your business is, how well your records are kept, how often you need me to work for you and exactly what you need me to do. I usually provide a fixed price to help your business avoid 'surprise' bills, though I can provide an hourly rate if you would prefer. Get in touch and we can discuss it but in the mean time here are my basic level prices:

Prices starting from:

Monthly Bookkeeping
Monthly Bookkeeping and VAT Returns
Annual Self-Assessment Tax Return
Annual Self-Assessment Tax Return and Partnership Tax Return
Annual Year-End Accounts (Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet)
Annual Accounting Software Subscription*

Please note, I am not VAT registered so there is no addition of VAT to prices

*FreeAgent software is free of charge to Natwest, RBS & Mettle Business Banking Customers

Ask Me About It


  • January 6th: HMRC is waiving late filing and late payment penalties for Self Assessment taxpayers for one month until 28th February 2022 – giving extra time, if you need it, to complete your 2020/21 tax return and pay any tax due. Interest on tax owed will be charged from 1st February. I have very limited capacity so get in touch ASAP if you need help.

    GOV.UK Self Assessment
    HMRC gives SA taxpayers more time
  • December 10th: From Monday, in England, you should work from home if you can. You may be able to claim tax relief for additional household costs if you have to work at home on a regular basis, either for all or part of the week. This includes if you have to work from home because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

    GOV.UK Coronavirus Support
    Claim tax relief for your job expenses
  • November 19th: If you receieved the first, second or third Self-Employed Income Support (SEISS) grant, these are taxable income and need to be reported on your self assessment tax return for 2020-21. Don't report it as business income, there's a seperate box (27.1) expecially for SEISS. Grants 4 & 5 will be reported in the following tax year.

    Reporting COVID-19 grants
  • November 2nd: I'm delighted to announce that the ICB Lincolnshire Branch were announced winners of the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB) LUCA Award for Branch of the Year 2021 at a fabulous ceremony last night. Myself and Laura Murphy share the role of Branch Chair in the group which works very much as a team, not competitiors. To join the branch, please see our facebook page.

    Branch of the Year 2021
    The ICB Lincolnshire Branch
  • September 23rd: Parliament released a statement today confirming that Making Tax Digital for Income Tax Self Assessment (MTD ITSA) will be delayed for at least a year. Businesses and landlords with annual income above £10,000 will need submit income tax information following MTD rules starting on or after 6th April 2024. More details in the blog below.

    MTD ITSA Introduction
  • September 1st: The public can now report scam websites directly to the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC). The NCSC analyses the site and if malicious a notice can be issued to the hosting provider for the site to be removed. The public can also forward suspected scam emails to report@phishing.gov.uk.

    National Cyber Security Centre
    Report a suspicious website
  • July 20th: A new type of phishing scam regarding ‘Tax Returns’ is being circulated in high volumes. Examples of HMRC related phishing emails, suspicious phone calls and texts can be seen via HMRC's website. If you're unsure about the validity of a call, email message or letter please check with your bookkeeper or accountant.

    Phishing and scams


Payment on Account: Self Assessment

23/11/21 What is a payment on account?

Making Tax Digital for Income Tax Self Assessment

28/09/21 Upcoming Changes to Self Assessment


"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen." : Stephen Hawking